Blog Changes to Come

Right, well, I know I said there'd be new colors and layouts for new books only, but I think some change is in order. The pink is just not working, and I'm under the impression it's driving readers off. Really, this blog looks like it's some girly teenager's blog. So change is coming, but no new book.
Got an idea for a color scheme? Email me. Katherynhawkins97@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The writing resumes!

Hey, Warriors!


As you probably know, I've been sick these past few days. What does that make for? Lots of Aura Kingdom and no writing. Well, as I am feeling good enough now to sing a soprano 1 part in the choir, I think the writing will resume tomorrow morning. I’m still editing for Mackenzie (Fatas: The Strings of Fate), who I linked to earlier. (Mackenzie is her pen name, what she wants to get the book published under.) She's also editing some of my stuff, mainly telling me where to reword and correcting small errors.

By the way, here's another excerpt from chapter three.

Fang’s room was fairly clean. There was a pizza box by the TV and the desk was piled high with old books and papers, but it was still clean. I took a seat on his bed, and he pulled out his desk chair. “Do you think that was funny?”
            He furrowed his brow, and I took his silence as being completely clueless.
            “Do you think telling me I might destroy the universe is funny? Do you like screwing with people’s heads?” I glared.
            Fang sat back, understanding passing over his face. He sighed. “Raleigh,”
            “No. Don’t. You don’t go around saying stuff like that. It’s weird. It’s creepy.”
            “Raleigh, please, just – “
            “No, you just stop it, Fang! Stop screwing with everyone!” I exclaimed, surprised by my outburst. Clearly, he was too. “Don’t you get it? You’re a freak! You shouldn’t even be talking to me. Hell, you almost got me kicked off the cheer squad by spreading that dumb rumor that you were going to ask me to prom.” It was true. They’d cornered me at my last practice and told me that if I wasn’t careful, I’d be off the team pretty quick. “Your mom might be sitting pretty at the school, but you aren’t. Don’t forget that. You’ll always be a freak,” I hissed, “How does Amelia live with you?”
            Fang’s eyes sparked with anger, but his face remained calm. Silently, he rose to his feet, and when he spoke, his voice was dangerously low. “You’re right about me being a freak, Raleigh. But at least I know what I am. And I can own up to it. You on the other hand,” he chuckled darkly, “You’re more of a freak than I could ever be. And trust me, you don’t know Amelia. She’s a stranger to you.” He moved to open his door. “You should go, Raleigh. Go home where it’s safe. Where you can curl up in bed and ignore the warning signs you’ll be getting soon.”

This one kind of follows the last excerpt, if memory serves. I've yet to replace the old excerpt, which was the end of chapter one, so here's that one.

Fang stopped across the table from me, his hands in his pockets and his eyes focused solely on me. “Raleigh, can I talk to you?” he asked, no trace of the nervousness other guys had when talking to me. I frowned; he didn’t sound like he was asking a girl to prom.
I leaned back in my chair. “Whatever you have to say, Fang, you can say it here.” My unease increased when a panicked glint surfaced in his eyes. Fang never let on to any of his emotions, not even a fake smile, and especially not fear. Even his friends claimed they’d never seen him smile or heard him laugh.
“Raleigh, please,” he glanced around. People were murmuring. Beth was glaring fiercely at him, as if he was about to make a big mistake. “Come into the hall, at least.”
I glanced at Beth, whose glare had been intensifying since Fang arrived. Cautiously, I stood and followed him out. He led me to the auditorium, then turned to face me. “This isn’t about prom, is it?”
Fang shook his head. “Afraid not. I’m here to warn you that your life is in danger, and if you somehow manage to survive, you may end up destroying the universe. You’ll certainly have the power to.”

Right. Well. There are my excerpts. And now I am off to go through some chapter two edits that we missed. Mackenzie says I have a problem with expanding, which could by why most of my chapters are ending up not much longer than James Patterson's.

All my best!

Note: I'll be getting a new email soon. The address will be posted, along with a draft of the book cover, very very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment